Let Music fill the air

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Will you sign my autograph book?



What a treasure this project has become. Years ago I had a pink autograph book and I am sure it is still in a box under the house with other things I thought I should just keep forever. Somewhere in the last 3 years I picked one up and only decided to start an adult version for a kick. Every now and then I pull it out and ask interesting people I meet if they will sign it. Usually there is some simple story to go along with the signing or I just want to keep a written signature of those who were interested in the idea. I have had the airline stewardess on the way to Las Vegas sign it, and a neighbor in the seat beside me pen a little message as well as a bartender who taped the wine label in so I could find it at the liquor store another day. There is the message from someone at work, and of course notes from the blogging girls roadtrip, the man who owns a dusky little bookstore in Vancouver, and a creative note from the owner of the cupcake shoppe down on the beach in White Rock.
Well, while we were visiting CC's home in Georgia recently, there was a vintage autograph book left in a basket by the guest bed that had some very old sayings written in a time when "polite" salutations and humorous poetics were intended to charm the reader.
I want to share some of the messages that were in there......

* When you are old and cannot see, put on your specs and think of me.
* Some write for pleasure. Some write for fame. I write simply to sign my name.
* Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe. ( My grandpa wrote this one in my old pink book. I remember it!)
* When memory with her golden lay unlocks the past. Remember me.
* They are fools who kiss and tell. Wisely has the poet sung. Man may hold all sorts of posts, if he'll only hold his tongue.
* In the golden chain of friendship, regard me as a link.
* To the best sardine in the box.
* Think much, speak little. May your time virtues ever shine, like blossoms on a pumpkin vine.
* When twilight draws it's curtains and pins them with a star, we will be friends forever, though you may wander far.
(Isn't that last one good. You could still write that in a letter to an old friend. Don't type it on a computer though, it's the type of note that has to be hand-written and mailed - don't you think?)

It's likely a girl thing - autograph books, but I am sure there are old ones lurking around. Be sure and read the notes if you are lucky enough to stumble on one. It will surely make you smile and maybe wonder who these folks were that penned the notes in the first place.

and that's all I have to say about that.........

6 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I add my voice to others there,

And wish you love without a care,

And life with sunshine daily wrought,

And worlds of fun that can't be bought!

I wish you health,

I wish you wealth,

And when you're snooping, lots of stealth! ;-)

I wish you many shiny hours,

Filled with life's most lovely flowers,

And when you're tired, I wish you sleep,

And sad, the shoulder of a peep!

That could be Claudie's,

That could be mine,

But whoever's shoulder, I hope you're fine!

And as this rhyme drones on and on,

And gets enti-er-ly too long,

I'll end it now with lots of wishes

For chocolate cake and chocolate dishes! (can you tell where my mind is???)

Love you!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Sherri said...

I remember when the waiter at Charlies put the wine label in your book. He was quite a character! That is a really neat idea! And I bet it brings back many good memories when you go back and re read them!
SHerri : )

BECKY said...

Hi Julie! It sure was a delight to meet you, and spend a little time together! You and your fun, warm personality were the best surprise!

Wow! I not only love your photos, but I adore the way you write! Your writing almost has a melody to it! Just wonderful to read!

You sure got to have a most wonderful adventure! Something most gals would only dream of.

I hope that all is well with you, sweet Julie, and want you to know that I am praying for all that concerns you.

Love your post on Magpies, too!

I have 2 of my old autograph books from elementary school.

Here is one that was more common:
2 good
+2 be
4 gotten
We also used to always sign Luff Ya instead of love ya!
Fun to remember! Have a blessed week, gal!
Luff ya!
Becky

C'est moi Claudette said...

"To the best sardine in the box"... that could be interpreted many different ways huh Julie?? lol
Love this post, I know I read it, but didn't realize that I didn't comment. I'm glad I waited since I got to read Mrs. Magpie's sweet message to you.
Yes I will be the "shoulder of a peep" for you, anytime.
Hey I haven't signed that autograph book yet? Don't your BFF's sign it... well in high school we did!
So I'm signing off now with these words "Keep calm and have a Cupcake"
Love You
Love Me
xoxoxo

~CC Catherine said...

Hey Julie, Love the post on autograph quotes - And I'm so glad you loved the blue book at my home, I'm honored that you shared some of the "jewels" in it. I'm coming by to make up my own autograph book message for ya. Here goes:

A Tea Party for one is no fun

Thus take pen in hand and invite Fran, or even a Man...

Whichever strikes your fancy, and you can even dancy...

But not before you swallow the sconey of which I included a secret ingredient - bolognie

This may be silly, but then I'm a Millie...remember me when your old and Chilly and drinking your tea & eating a sconey.

Your silly Scone Maker in GA - ~CC

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You.
Vehicle Livery West Midlands