Let Music fill the air

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I secretly wish I was a great singer

I caught X factor tonite between a little dinner,  a little baking, a little nap,  returning phonecalls, sifting thu paperwork, and thinking about trying to get to bed early for a good nites rest.  
The music stopped me in my tracks.    I sat down on the couch and peered at the TV screen.

Leroy Bell (Chasing his dream at the age of 60 !  I say fantastic)

  Some of the voices of these people are simply amazing.  Leroy Bell was the face of the voice.   His story inspired me.   A Dad on his own in Seattle who spends his days driving his son where he needs to be and his free time doing gigs.     Well, he is talented and I am rooting for him all the way.

  What a gift it is to be able to express yourself in such a way.  To do something you love for a living & now when dreams are never too late to go after - he is giving it a shot.  

So I started thinking about music.

What would the world be without it?    It consoles, it inspires, it takes you to a place of escape or pure relaxation.      I think about driving in the car with no music.     Housework with no music.     A busy day at work can seem so much better with a little background music.     We have moments in our lives that are defined by a song.    That first concert when we were teenagers.   The holiday that you bought that CD and it takes you back every time you plug it in.   The wedding song you picked,  the music at grandma's funeral.      Soundtracks from movies.     The artists that match music to film and sound effects is an art to itself.      

The devices we have used to listen to music by  over the years have surely changed - but the essence of the voice and song to move people has never wavered.    

 My parents had 8 track tapes, and record players.   Then there was the cassette, the personal CD player, the boombox,  the mini-discman, mp3 players,  ipods  and who know what may come next.

8 track cassettes

Record players
The cassette player
The boombox

Portable mini Discman

Personal CD player

I Pod Nano

I Pod Touch

The realm of music genius is enormous.    From the old stuff that I still think is amazing to the new stuff which I often don't even know the artists name - to the rock of Steven Tyler and the beautiful sounds of Maria Callas.    The jazz musicians,  the crooners and everything in between.








     If you have a voice that can carry a tune and you are not singing your heart out in public - please tell me that you sing in the car with your windows wide open.  If someone catches you belting out a tune,   don't be embarassed.     I personally envy your gift.  


"Music is what feelings sound like." ~ Author Unknown


And ......


I think they really just go together.  

So as I was saying.....   I secretly wish I was a good singer.    Or that I had continued to practice the piano when I was little so that I could sit down and play now.    Sometimes there are just not enough hours in a day to carry out all the ideas that roam in a head.      So dreams sit and life moves quickly.

Note to self.         Make time for the things that you love to do.  Be inspired.    Run with it.  Don't look back and never listen to self doubt.










5 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Music really does feed the soul and is close to God's heart, too: "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all Ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness. Come before His presence with singing." So I would say he instilled the desire to make music in all of us.

Now, some of us who don't sing that well still have the ability to sing in the shower, and it is there that we need to sing at the tops of our lungs and enjoy it! I rolled down the windows yesterday and sang at the top of mine. But car singing is one of my favorite things to do. Who cares if it looks silly for a little old lady from Pasadena to rock out in her caddy! ;-)

Loved this and love you, too. Julie...

XO,

Sheila

wendy said...

HEY....I SING
helloooooo, Karaoke night (tee,hee)
seriously, I LOVE TO SING
I belt out a tune any chance I get.
and it is most fun when I am all alone, as I can really "go to town" with it.
I LOVE X-FACTOR. I think the voices are amazing. Wow, what a group of talent eh.
(actually, I am especially fond of the 14 year old little blonde girl, I love her sound)
but...Leroy is awesome as well.

I have so many different CD's as I love most all music. Shows our age eh with the 8 tracks etc. Yup, been there done that.
I bought Barry an IPod for Christmas, and he forgot it was in his pants pocket (one of those little ones, but held 2000 tunes)
anyway....it went throught the wash
and is not Toast. grrrrrr
We'll get a new one.
I love Lady Antebellum.
I can. not. clean the house if I don't have music playing.
I used to take piano lessons. I even had a piano but ended up giving it to my oldest son so his kids could take lessons.
grandma sacrificed.
Maybe someday....If and WHEN I get a bigger house, I'd love to have another one.

wow....here I go again, babbling on. You and I could be a total Thelma and Louise, in the convertible, singing , singing, singing. laughing !!!

Love you Jewels
"you light up my life, la la la la"

jeanne said...

Good morning Julie, I too love the X Factor. I love to sing and do but not where anyone can hear me. HA! I think Leroy is an awesome singer and I hope he goes far in the show.

Gotta rush we are leaving for Florida today. a football game is the reason. also staying with Christina. We will be gone for 9 days.

We had the most wonderful time when the sistas were here. We missed you and Wendy sooooo much.
I love you dearly,
Jeanne xoxoxo

C'est moi Claudette said...

Well as you know I've had music in my life FOREVER. My mom and dad always had music playing. Frank, Dean, Engelbert, Tom, all the great ones.
I know you LOVE it too.
I wish I could sing too. Randy and Brittany got those genes. I still sing though as you know, lol.
Now Steven Tylor....yummy. I don't watch the X factor, but when I was at Jeanne's house, we had to watch it. It was ok. Maybe I didn't know the struggles they all went though to get this far.
Randy has had 3 very long days in town. He had a complete melt down last night. BIG ONE this time. Man I can't believe he survived this one. Poor guy. I scratched his head for hours. He finally fell asleep. He got up at 6 and off he went again. As you know I was gone and just got back last night... just in time.
Ok sista #1. I must do something constructive today, ha ha.
Love you
xoxoxoxoxo

~CC Catherine said...

Hey Jewells, HOW true this post is... MUSIC really does make the world go round, and without it, it would be a very quiet and lonely place. I love many types of music. One type I LOVE when I clean or am down in the dumps is SWING music. I find the upbeat pace just really puts a smile on my face and a bounce in my step. I love jazz, love classical...love piano/instrumentals, harp... I'm not in to Heavy Metal or rock...but love soft rock. I'm all over the place, eh? Just like the music! xoxo :) Love you sweetie! ~CC